Mothers Day And Fathers Day
Loss of a parent can make these annual celebrations bittersweet. Here are a few ways to support your friend in their grief:
- Put a photo in a pretty locket or frame and give it to your friend over brunch.
- Have their moms favorite flowers, dads favorite plant or a favorite meal or dessert delivered.
- Send a card or letter recounting a fond memory or favorite story. Remind them of the qualities their mother or father passed along to them.
Here are more suggestions for supporting a friend who has lost a mother, baby or child on Mothers Day and ways people remember their own parents on Mothers Day and Fathers Day.
Why You Should Check In On Special Occasions
It can be hard to know what to say or do when someone is grieving. Its important to check in with them every now and then, so they know you’re there for them. After the funeral, many people find that the crowds thin out and the wellwishers disappear, which can leave people feeling vulnerable and lonely. By making sure you check in periodically, you can ensure that their support network never disappears.
It’s important to not just “check in” with someone who is grieving, but also ask how they are doing. This can be a really difficult question to answer and it may take time before the person feels comfortable enough to share their feelings. Don’t push the person into telling you how they feel right away if they don’t want to talk about it yet. Letting them know that youll be there to talk when they are ready to share is often sufficient.
In The Same Vein How Do You Wish A Widow A Happy Birthday
With love, I wish you a happy birthday. Celebrate this momentous occasion in your life with the knowledge that your dark days are behind you and that nothing but great days are ahead of you. Have a birthday that is wonderfully vibrant. Greetings and best wishes for your birthday!
There has been enough time for tears to be shed.
You have a great light inside you that lights the lives of others who are in your immediate vicinity.
You May Like: T Rex Birthday Party Invitations
How To Help A Bereaved Person In The First Few Days
Suggestions on how to help a bereaved person in the first few days include:
- Contact the bereaved person as soon as possible after their loved one’s death. This contact could be a personal visit, telephone call, text message, sympathy card or flowers.
- Attend the funeral or memorial service if you can. They need to know that you care enough to support them through this difficult event.
- Offer your support and ask them how they would like you to support them.
- Listen to them if they want to open up to you and try to suspend all judgement.
What Does It Imply When Someone You Care About Passes Away On Your Birthday
When someone dies, there is a cause for it the same is true on the day someone is born. Being born on the anniversary of someones death is considered a great honour in many cultures. If you are an adult and someone you care about dies away on your birthday, you may commemorate them by holding a minute of silence, but dont be upset since they arent really gone, yet.
Read Also: Best Flowers For 30th Birthday
When In Doubt Get A Second Opinion
If youre worried about saying the wrong thing on a death anniversary get help. Ask someone who has dealt with a similar situation. Theyll know firsthand what messages are supportive, and which ones arent. Though saying nothing at all sounds cruel, saying the wrong thing could be worse.
Remember the intent of your message, however, and you should have no issues. Show that youre thinking of the person, and you care about them. That is what really matters.
Birthday Wishes For Someone Who Lost A Job
- Just a little note to let you know that Im thinking of you on your birthday. Im sorry to hear that you got the pink slip so close to your birthday. But, theres a silver lining, and its coming.
- No matter how disappointed you are about losing your job, I know that youll pull through. You have so much grit and talent that youll find another one in no time. Again, wishing you the best on your birthday.
- Celebrating is furthest from your mind after a recent job loss. Still, I want you to know that Im here if you need a shoulder to cry on, a friend to listen to you rant, or a buddy to share a boozy non-celebration of your birthday.
- Sending you a basket of good wishes and all the luck in the world as you mark a milestone birthday and start another job-hunting adventure.
- Think of it this way: Losing your job is the universe telling you that you deserve a better one. Have a great birthday.
- Sometimes we have to lose something to be able to move forward. Every job is a stepping stone to the next one, which is bound to be bigger, brighter, and more promising.
Read Also: Homemade Last Minute Birthday Gifts
Birthday Wishes For A Bereaved Friend
- This is the first birthday you will be marked without your beloved partner, and it must be devastating. I wish there was something special I could do for you, but Im here if you need anything.
- Im genuinely sorry that your long-time love is no longer here to celebrate your birthday. Still, youll always have lovely memories of the beautiful years you spent together. Stay strong.
- We wont pretend that we can understand the crushing loss you recently suffered from your spouses passing. Still, we will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers on your birthday and always.
- I wish our dad was still around to see the extraordinary human that youve become. He would be so proud of you. So go ahead and celebrate your birthday today because that is what he would want you to do.
- I debated whether I should send you this birthday message after your recent loss. However, I understand that you wont feel like celebrating on this day, so Im sending you love and warm hugs. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
How To Say Happy Birthday After A Loss
When someone has experienced a loss it can feel strange and wrong to also say happy birthday. But birthdays occur every year regardless of other events.
So those grieving a loss will still have a birthday and you may want to reach out and acknowledge it.
But what do you say? Does it need to be different to a usual birthday greeting? Do you mention their grief and the person they lost?
Navigating the correct etiquette when saying happy birthday after a loss can be difficult. Its understandable to not be sure of the right thing to say or what to avoid.
So hopefully this guide and the example birthday wishes after a loss provided here will help you to find the words to wish someone a happy birthday in an appropriate way even though they are coping with a bereavement.
Read Also: Dolly Parton Singing Happy Birthday
What Not To Do On A Birthday After The Loss Of A Loved One
Everyone has their own expectations when it comes to birthdays, as well as grief. Try to keep in mind, that even if you have the best intentions, it’s really important to allow your loved one to take the lead and decide how they want to spend their birthday after losing someone important to them. If they are still in the midst of grief, be there for them. If they want to celebrate in a small or big way, help them do so without judgment. Everyone processes grief differently and birthdays may or may not be triggering depending on the individual.
Ways To Support A Grieving Child
A child will experience grief in a similar way to adults but may require further support and reassurance. They take their cues from the adults they are surrounded by so make sure to show that grieving is normal and encourage them to do so.
Be as clear as you can as to what has happened and ensure they dont feel to blame in any way. If they have questions answer them as fully as honestly as possible.
For further advice on supporting a grieving child see the websites below:
You May Like: Small Birthday Gift Ideas For Coworkers
Birthday Greetings For Someone Who Is Terminally Ill
Unfortunately, not every disease has a cure. This does not mean someone with a terminal illness should not celebrate every special occasion, including a birthday. During this time, every birthday has a much greater importance. Seeing a cheerful message or words of love can have a great impact. The hardest part is finding just the right words to say. The following messages were written with this in mind. Hoping one of these messages contains the right words for the situation.
Happy Birthday. Take care of the person in the mirror who has been through so much but is still standing.
Birthday Greetings In Hard Times
Going through sorrowful experiences in life has never been an interesting time. It is a solemn season when people find it difficult to laugh, play, celebrate or even smile at beautiful scenery around them. The sad thought that situations around ones life will not be the same again is enough to cause anxiety. How then can you wish a sad person a happy birthday?
Wishing people, especially family and friends, while they are going through challenging or very hard times can be a herculean task sometimes. The fact that such greetings are perceived with mixed feelings makes it all the more difficult. Your words should have the ability to make them feel that you are there for them and soothe their pains to a certain degree. You dont have to go through what they are going through in order to encourage them. Simply putting yourself in their shoes will help you come up with soothing and heart-melting words.
These well crafted birthday wishes and messages can be sent to a birthday celebrant who is going through very hard times in life. These birthday messages recognize the unfortunate situation that life has thrown to the celebrant while at the same time giving them hope and assuring them that theres always light at the end of the tunnel regardless of how terrible the situation that they find themselves in is.
Also Check: 60th Birthday Party Invitations For Him
Words From Popular People For Someone Who Is Grieving
Sending uplifting words of comfort to someone who is grieving can be really helpful, especially if they are experiencing the loss of a loved one.
Death ends a life, not a relationship. Mitch Albom
Someone you love is never truly gone they can walk beside us every day if we allow them and remember that they will always be a part of us, as we are a part of them.
You dont get over it, you get through it It doesnt get better, it gets differentEvery day, just like me, Grief puts on a new face. Wendy Feireisen
I know now that we never get over great losses we absorb them, and they carve us into different, often kinder, creatures. Gail Caldwell
Grief cannot be shared, but the reality can be. Remembering what you loved about them encourages everyone who heard or saw your loss to do the same.
Life is not measured by its duration, but by its moments spend it living.
I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought, and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. Leo Buscaglia
Remember that grief doesnt take away love it makes you love more deeply and more truly.
I love you every day. And now I will miss you every day. Mitch Albom
I will keep their memories alive by living my life with as much happiness and love as they did.
Ways To Say Happy Birthday And Offer Condolences If You Can See Them Face
Because some people find more difficulty in self-composure in public places, consider the place and time when mentioning emotional traumas. In particular, be considerate of work environments or situations wherein decorum is a must.
16. This must be a tough day for you after just losing Spike just last week. But we still wanted to bring in a cake to celebrate your day.
For many, losing a pet is like losing a child. And when these horrific events happen so close to big days, the loss can seem impossible. Even so, its still appropriate to celebrate birthdays at work.
17. Happy Birthday, Sis. I know this is a hard one, but were all here for you.
If theres a family dinner planned for your sisters birthday, youre likely going to be in someones home. So, offering heartfelt condolences wont be publicly traumatic.
18. When we lost your mother, I never thought Id get to a place where Id be okay again. But I am sure that Caleb and grandma are looking down on us right now and wishing you a wonderful birthday.
Finding the right words to convey your feelings after your child has lost their son or daughter might be better presented if you can find a way to offer hope.
19. Akemi, I just wanted to offer you my condolences again. I realize that this is your first birthday without Bruce by your side, but I still wanted to wish you a happy birthday.
20. I still cant believe hes gone either. But, Im so glad that I am here to celebrate your birthday.
Also Check: 42 Year Old Birthday Ideas
Being A Good Listener
When you are listening to someone who is grieving, your role is not to fix their problem. You both know you cannot bring the person they have lost back. But just being with someone through their experience can be an enormous help.
- Concentrate on what they are saying, and try not to think about your response until they have finished.
- Show you are listening by nodding or or saying something like mmhmm.
- You can check you have understood by trying to summarise what you think they have said back to them.
- Try not to rush in and share your own experiences straight away.
- Only offer advice if they ask for it just letting someone speak is useful in itself.
Samaritans offer some tips on how to be a good listener.
What Is The Best Way To Soothe Someone
Companionship for Someone Who is Depressed or Crying Witness their emotions Assure them that their emotions are understandable. Demonstrate to the other person that you understand their sentiments, and assist him or her in developing a deeper awareness of their own. Dont attempt to make them feel better by downplaying their suffering. If it is appropriate, express physical love. Make recommendations for next measures.
You May Like: 21st Birthday Party Ideas For Her
The First Birthday After The Death Of A Loved One
General / General: Eleanor Haley
Ive always thought of birthdays as a mark that someones grown a year older. For me, its always seemed like birthdays are about age because we celebrate them on the exact day a person was born to recognize theyve made it another year around the sun.
But this begs the question, if birthdays are about years lived, does this mean they should end after a person dies? Many people ask themselves this question as they approach the first birthday after the death of a loved one. And though my previous logic might imply I think otherwise, my answer to this question is no, their birthday is always their birthday.
Allow me to share a new rationale with youI looked up the definition of birthday earlier today, and, interestingly, I didnt see much mention of the passage of time or accumulation of life. Instead, most simply define a birthday as the day of a persons birth or birth anniversaryand these are both things that continue to be true after a person dies. So, if your gut hadnt already told you that you can celebrate your loved ones birthday and that you should if you like, I hope youve let this logic persuade you.
Birthday Messages For Someone Who Is Too Old To Get Out Of The House
- I am hoping that this message will cheer you up on your birthday. Its not easy to be housebound when youve always been the life of the party, and I wish I could be with you on your birthday.
- I remember the good old days when we partied from dusk to dawn on our birthdays. Of course, times change, and life moves on, but we will always have the glorious memories to hold dear, especially on special occasions such as today.
- In honor of your birthday today, I will drive by all our old haunts to remember the good times and our glory days. Happy birthday, my dear friend.
- Enjoy your birthday with cake, steak, and champagne. Actually, enjoy your birthday any way you want while in the privacy of your home. I wish I could have been there with you.
- Heres to good times gone by, to great friends who live on in our hearts, and to birthdays that become more precious as our milestone years turn to milestone decades. Cheers!
- Our wild party days may be over, but were still here. So consider this your permission to dance and drink to your hearts content on your birthday. Youve had a great life, and you deserve everything.
You May Like: Birthday Celebration Ideas At Home